Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 9 | Bethany Returns

My Thursday morning started out a little differently than everyone else’s. The team had left to go visit the sick and elderly and I was banned to the hotel to “recover” from whatever “Cyclops, stomach eating” disease I had . I awoke suddenly to find a lady hovering over me. I screamed, she screamed… it was quite the picture. The very Guatemalan hotel maid, (whom I didn’t hear ENTER) had begun cleaning my room and we both didn’t realize the other person was present until that very moment. After our blood pressure returned to normal, she grunted and gestured indicating she was glad I wasn’t DEAD :-)! I completed our happy enter counter by giving her some (Kristi’s :-)) very American bubble gum that was sitting on my bedside table that I saw her looking at with longing eyes. Wow! What an interesting wake-up call. Can I go back to sleep now?

Hours later as I hobbled back from the bathroom for what seemed like the hundredth time, I wonder why God had allowed me to get sick. Why now? Why in Guatemala? This was my second day of doing “nothing”… and I was tired of it. I stepped outside and while drawing in breath I gasped at what I saw and heard; a child getting beaten by what I only assume was the mother. My insides churned (even more than they already currently were), and I began to chasten myself for the “being sick” pity party. I was determined from that moment forward to NOT allow the devil ANY room to attack. It couldn’t have been 5 minutes after this decision that a Swedish man plopped down next to my hammock and began bombarding me with questions about who I was and what I was doing in Guatemala. I swiftly prayed for wisdom in speaking to this man (I have 6 brothers that knew would tan my hide if I wasn’t careful). I was able to share about the purpose of our trip and what brought all of us (from all over) to Guatemala. I’m not sure how interested he was in spiritual things; (it seemed like he might have just been bored and wanting to talk) but I feel like God gave me an opportunity and a seed was planted.

After lunch, the team returned (with positive feedback about how God had worked that morning) and we all had a very relaxing afternoon sipping lemonade and swinging in hammocks! :-) sounds like the life huh? After a couple lively games of slap jack, a nap and some medicine.. I was ready to face the world! We went back to the children’s rally for our second night (my first) with them. Everything was new and exciting for me after missing it the night before. I felt a little helpless after nearly falling over after climbing a couple flights of stairs (I was extremely weak from not eating and LOSING all nutrients ), but was never the less happy to be there! Our evening was completed by a late (Chinese style) dinner at a restaurant that had been reserved for us. On the third floor of a building served by a sweet lady and her sons. Despite being scared to eat anything for fear of the results :-) it was a very enjoyable evening (especially after it started raining! Ah! It was so romantic!). Finally we piled into our fancy covered wagon like a bunch of stow-always and headed back to the hotel. The rain started coming down in force giving the phrase “raining cats and dogs” a new meaning. We huddled in our “wagon” and sang campfire songs as we waited for the downpour to lessen. Finally we all made a mad dash, only to find a RIVER of slush (water and garage) to wade through to make it back. I closed my eyes took a deep breath and just ran! I don’t even want to KNOW some of the things I touched walking through that mess! Ah! Finally safely back in our room! Cleaned off in the only cold water, spider and scorpion infested shower, and hop into bed for a good night’s rest!?!?!

Can’t wait to see what tomorrow holds. :-)

Bethany Cook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of the 2 Cookies that you all have on the trip with you. I've been praying for you guys and it sounds like you have been a blessing to those around you. Beth, I can't believe you are sick...but remember, it's all in God's hands.